ChangingYour Brain to get results
The other day one of my clients was talking about how her husband was struggling with some issues that he could not seem to get his mind wrapped around. She did not know whether NLPcould help him. Out of this came the following:
There are some similarities between our brain and the computer. In fact, you could call the brain an advanced, very complicated computer. The computer in many ways is a direct model of the brain. As we advance as a species, someone was bound tofigure it out. Scientists have figured out a lot of other things,why not the brain.
The source code that the operating system is written in is like the unconscious. You are not aware of the source code of the operating system. It is there in the background and allows the operating system and all programs on the operating system to function. What you see on the screen is the conscious mind. You see the results of the operating system and programs on the screen. Your mind, in order to understand experience codes, categorizes and organizes data in the form of pictures, sounds, sensations,tastes and smells. You input information into the computer with a keyboard. Your senses are the keyboard of your experiences. You do not see, hear or feel with your eyes, ears and skin; you see, hear,feel with your brain. It is your brain that takes the impulses from the senses and translates them into information. For instance, if we see a dog and our brain recognizes a dog (there is a program for“dog recognition”), we recognize a dog, and it is categorized and stored in the databases where we store all dogs. If we know what dogs are, then, that also further enhances the categorization. However, if we do not have a program to recognize dogs, then we can become confused: not knowing where to put the data. We simply delete the dog as if we had never seen it or we put the data in a similar category we do recognize (a distortion), such as cats because they have four legs and fur. If we have been bitten by a dog, then the brain could (not always) generalize that all dogs bite.
If you try to open something on your computer and you do not have a program for that data, then the computer givesyou an error message. My computer asks me if I want to go and find the program to open it. Our brains do not usually do that. It makes instant decisions about what to do with the information by deleting it, distorting it or generalizing it.
The programs organize the date to produce certain results. Your computer also stores information on a hard drive.Your brain stores vast amounts of information. Your computer runs programs written in scripts, in binary code. Your brain runs scripts also. Those scripts determine whether or not the imputed information can be used – no program….no data…..no results.
Think back, some of you, to the days of early PC’s. Compared to the capacity, programs, and speed of new PC’s,the older PC’s are slow and limited. They did not have the configuration and ability to process data like the newer ones. Your brain is similar in that depending on when your brain was“programmed”, it may not have the neuro-capacity” that the newer minds have and therefore do not have the brain power to resolve issues as easily as someone whose mind has a larger capacity. Older minds get set in their ways. They lose some of thei rneuroplasticity.
Neuroplasticity refers to the brain’s ability toforge new connections, to blaze new paths through the cortex, even to assume new roles. Learning a new skill actually changes the structure and function of the brain, even into old age.
It all has to do with the wiring and firing. The older brain develops “grooves” in processing. Once a particular way of doing something or looking at something becomes a habit, it becomes harder to change. The plasticity of the brain competes. The stronger the plasticity in a direction, the less likely another pathway is going to become prominent. This is why when you try to learn a new language, the mother tongue usually wins out. The more a person engages developing plasticity, the more neuro connections,the faster the speed, the more options and choices, greater the skills, easier the problem solved. This is your brain on NLP.
NLP has processes that help people develop neuroplasticity and increase neuro connections in the brain. Even simple anchoring (learned in Level 1) produces new synapses between neurons. The result is that a person has more information available to solve problems, learn, communicate, make decisions. Developing neuroplasticity also slows the aging process and memory loss that appears as people age. They are more aware of what they see, hear and feel in a conversation and have more choices with which to respond than the average untrained person. This translates into higher quality relationships, better jobs, more money, less stress, and happier, more confident people. Humm…. We could use more of those these days.
A unique and fascinating new study was released this year by Carol Dweck, a psychologist at Stanford University,researching the effects of belief on cognitive performance.
The results: children who believed that intelligence was malleable and could be improved were much morelikely to perform well in school. Children who believed intelligence was something set in stone – a genetic gift from birth that never changes – did not perform as well.
To test this, Dweck separated one hundred 7th grade students into 2 equal groups. All students had suffering math scores. One group learned good studying habits, the other learned about the plasticity of the brain, and how the brain can change; new neural connections are formed and intelligence can actually be increased.
At the end of the semester, the children who had the crash course in neuroscience ended up performing better than those who learned study skills! This is because their beliefs about intelligence had changed. http://www.mindupdate.com/?cat=18
Things that you can do to enhance your neuroplasticity: http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/?p=40
- Take NLP classes (the obvious)
- Exercise your mind – puzzles and games that teach you to resyntax information, such as logic, crossword, math puzzles, games in which you need to recognize patterns (Klotski or Tangrams) http://www.psychtests.com/mindgames/index.html
- Anchoring – a simple NLP technique that add choices and resources to a habitual thought, feeling or behavior
BasicTechnique: Can be done with another person or on oneself.
- Recall an experience with an associated intense state.
- Float into the experience with eyes closed, looking out your eyes in your body. See what you saw, hear what your heard, feel what you felt.
- Watch for cues in eye lids, breathing, lip size, facial muscles.
- While reliving the recalled situation, touch your knee or knuckle at the peak of the experience.
- Release anchor. Do separator state (Open eyes, erase picture).
- Test anchor by re-triggering anchor point and note return of physiology to previous anchored experience.
- Add a resource by finding a more appropriate feeling or response in another unrelated experience.
- Do the same process as step 2-7.
- Touch both places at the same time.
- Imagine a time in the future using the new resource in a similar experience to the original experience.
- Making lists – instead of writing down lists ofthings to remember, use memory pegs to associate items. Here is a link to the use of memory pegs http://health.howstuffworks.com/how-to-improve-your-memory8.htm
- Read these books
- The Brain that Changes Itself by Norman Doidge, MD
- The Creative Habit: Learn it and use it for Life by Twyla Tharp
- Change Your Mind – Keep the Change – Steve Andreas
- NLP: The New Technology for Achievement
- Learn new things; take up a new hobby. Put yourself at the low end of the learning curve.
UpcomingClasses to increase your Neuroplasticity:
Pick up the phone and call 214 351-5433 to registeror for more information
Building Powerful Relationships: Level 1
Monday nights: July 29-Aug. 18: 6-9:30pm $525 at the door; $495 prepaid; bring a friend or coworker – $425 each
- Learn to think in a way that will get you what you want
- Artfully persuade prospects, coworkers, family members to see your point of view
- Build trust with anyone
- Get un-stuck from old habitual thinking patterns
- Instantly change bad feelings
- Break a habit
- Actualize an outcome
- Read people to gain accuracy in communication
- Build self confidence
Free CD on How to get what you want
I have received a lot of sales training in mycareer. It has all been helpful in learning the basics of speaking/listening/closing etc. It wasn’t until I started my training with Susan and NLP that I saw fundamental shifts in theway I interact with my clients. I now ask similar questions as Ialways did, yet now am able to uncover hidden criteria in myclients’ responses that tell me how to sell to each of them. I am no longer stuck selling in my own particular style but can beflexible and adapt to my client’s style.
There are things going on under the surface of our interactionsthat I never knew existed until now, yet looking back they seem so elementary. I highly recommend Susan’s training. FYI, I have only taken her beginning level 1 class and was able to reap big rewardsfrom it. I can’t wait to learn the advanced stuff! Brad Costanzo,Cost Segregation and Internet Business Owner and Consultant
August 23-24: 9:30am to 5:00pm Taught by Marilou Seavey
Get a profound change in feeling about anything.
Stop the voices inside your head
Stop the feeling of helplessness, hopeless and worthlessness
Change the limiting thoughts and negative self talk that keeplimiting beliefs in place
Hi, Susan, Just wanted to tell you about my experience with Neuroshift.
For years, I’ve had this behavior that when I get lost or confusedI feel very helpless and start to cry. In some instances it is very embarrassing because it can happen in public when I don’t knowwhere I am. After I did Marilou’s weekend on NeuroShift, that whole helpless feeling went away. It just vanished. The following week, I got very confused about something and I just didn’t go there. My response was more of “I can figure this out!!” Wow, I’ve tried to change that helpless feeling since I was a young adult AND IT’S GONE!!!! Thanks so much. I look forward to doing the program again.[Name withheld by request]
Between you and me…..Not sure that you have been aware that I have had a habit of chewing on cigars since1992. All day, every day. Every NLP class break, I went to the car to chew on my cigar. I quit for 6 weeks in 1998 and went back to it after someone gave me one at a golf tournament. I smoked from 1982 – 1992 and quit smoking overnight, but for 25 years, I had one in my mouth virtually all ofmy waking hours.
After neuro-shift study group last week on Tuesday, I did notice a change, but it had nothing to do with my cigar habit. Thursday, I was going to the cigar shop and said to myself, “you know what, you don’t need these anymore”. Since then, I have had one in the car to chew on, and still do, but only then. I not only don’t need it, I am very conscious that when I reach for it, I don’t want it. I’m sure that by the end of this week, I will be totally done.
You can tell this story, but please don’t publishor use my name.
Leadership Practitioner: NLP PractitionerCertification: 2008-2009
Sept. 13-14, Oct. 11-12, Nov.8-9, Dec. 13-14, 2009: Jan. 10-11, Feb. 7-8, Mar. 7-8, April 4-5$23 an hour for training. Call for pricing.
- Maximizeyour efficiency at any task… so you can accomplishmore in less time.
- Dramatically reduceconflict in your life by gaining an understandingof how others see the world… and why they act the way they do.
- Embracefailures and setbacks as opportunities to grow andlearn.
- Use eye movement integration to eliminate emotional blocks and fears.
Tap into an internal source of patience…for your kids, your difficult clients and co-workers, and even for daily frustration like bumper-to-bumper traffic.
- Ridy ourself of mental blocks that are holding youback.
- Attract the things you really want in life…without conscious effort or thought.
- Conquer lifelong fears and phobias (in as little as 15 minutes).
- Build rapport with any person…even people with difficult personalities.
- Negotiate deals and solutions that leave all parties feeling like a winner.
- Boost your immune system…to help you prevent and fight disease.
- Recover more quickly from mental and physical traumas…greatly enhancing your quality of life, as well as potentially savings thousands of dollars of medical treatments.
- Learn proven methods to achieve rapid – and lasting – change.
- Boost your happiness and self-esteem.
As a Business, Life coach I am committed in making a difference in my clients lives that is long lasting. I have grown to learn that learning the techniques and models that NLP provides actually is the tool that will sustain a persons growth. Although motivational techniques, counseling, etc. all have a place, if Itruly want to see a life long changes and shifts for my clients and also within myself than this is the perfect model. I personally have already noticed major changes in my belief systems. I notice that I am just being the change vs having to remind myself to change. Big distinction. If you are considering NLP and you want to really develop, leverage your life skills and transform to yourm ost authentic self then NLP is for you. I waited way too long in my life and have often wondered what if I did this back 10 yearsago when I first learned about it.
Would have saved a bunch of agony, frustration and everything else that I used as an excuse to truly get what I want out of life.Jodie Wallace, Christian Business & Life Coach
The practitioner course enabled me to expand my vision of what I can really accomplish in life. Through participating, I got a real idea of the direction I wanted my life and career to go and obtained the tools to help me get there. I not only noticed changes in myself throughout over the term of the course, I saw many examples of positive changes in my classmates careers, marriages and lives in general. I’m so grateful you suggested (made me go to) the training. It’s the best money I didn’t have that I ever spent. Scott C
Saturdays, Sept. 27 (for newNLP Students); Oct. 11, Oct. 25, Nov. 8 Taught by Don Aspromonte and Susan Stageman
The training is for:
- Anyone interested in learning more about the business applications of NLP.
- Anyone interested in becoming skilled in the utilization of NLP in sales.
- Anyone interested in becoming skilled in utilizing NLP to improve their communications in stressful situations.
- Anyone with some sales responsibility who wants to double their sales and improve client/customer satisfaction and retention.
- People who want to become Certified Green Light Selling Trainers.
- People new to NLP whose main focus is using NLP to improve their business communications and sales.
About the training:
Bring your prospect list, or be prepared to create a list of prospects early in the training.
Additional support to participants via teleconferencing, MP3 sales tips and so forth.
Pre-program training day: Sept. 27 for new NLP students $195
Thirty-eight years as a professor of sales and service technology and as a sales trainer for industry has provided me with the opportunity to evaluate many of the sales models being utilized in the selling world today. Don Aspromonte’s Green LightSelling Model is amongst the very best. His book has been required reading for all of our Technical Sales majors at Weber State University for the past twenty years. Our graduates are highly recruited all over corporate America. Daniel Litchford, PhD.
Don Aspromonte, MBA, has trained sales people and managers in the United States, Japan and Asia for more than 20 years. His book isused as a text at Weber State University and has been used by salestrainers in many industries including Insurance, Banking,Telecommunications and Real Estate. His training methods, based upon Neurolinguistic Programming (NLP) help both seasoned professionals and people new to the selling environment to excel quickly. Humor and years of practical experience make his seminarsa rewarding and memorable experience
$649; Register before September 1st – $595. Have a group? Call us for discounts.